11/1/08

If marriage was a bussiness...

Wow Danni,
Your picture could have been the front cover of "My Big Fat Wedding" magazine!! (i.e. Carrie's wedding from 'Sex in the City') The black and white camera setting is absolutely magnificent:) In my opinion, marriage is similar to a business. Before I sign off on the (For better or for worst...) contract, I DO need to know your credit score(Do not put yourself in a situation where everything is in your name), I DO need to know your debt to income ratio(Once married, his/her debt becomes your debt), and I DO need a prenuptial agreement(just kidding...) Avoid a prenuptial agreement at all cost. As the investment cliche goes, "high risk, high return" and this agreement states loudly from one marriage-business partner to the other "I won't take a risk on your love." Pre-marital deficit....Not good

Any who, marriage is literally a business because once married your net worth and earning potential increases. (My source did not mention why, but if I had to guess I'd say a joint business venture is probably more successful than a sole proprietorship)

So, if marriage is a business than you need a detailed business plan and more importantly, a budget! To answer Danni's question... My wedding would have to be apart of the start up cost for our marriage-business. Sure, I'd prefer an extra house over a princess diamond cut platinum ring and a month long country hopping honeymoon over a $10,000 gown and pretty table decorations, but my ideal wedding definitely has a hefty price tag! You know that item on the menu at expensive restaurants that just says(market value) well that's how my wedding will be priced! But if I had to start the budget off it would look like this..

Month long honeymoon around the world = 50,000
3 bedroom summer house in Costa Rica = 200,000
Me for a life time = Priceless

"Oh yeah... love wouldn't be a bad marriage-business investment either...LOL"

3 comments:

Sierra said...

Kim you are a trip! When a guy finds out how expensive you are as a wife, he will head for the hills and never look back. You want a honeymoon trip around the world $50,000 and a summer house in Costa Rica $200,000? That is a very heavy price tag for memories. After you come off of your vacation of love, it will be hard to get back to the regular world. Good luck in finding a filthy rich man, you’ll need it.

Danielle said...

I love that city pic too.. and dave is my "BIG". Good thing my wedding day wasn't just like Sex in the City movie though eh?

I did in fact know my new hubbys credit score. I encouraged him to get his credit report/ score and naturally I saw it... I mean it is my job right?! :)

It is really important to know what you are getting into. We were required to go through 6 hours pre-marital counseling in order to have our ceremony at that specific church. On of the things on the analysis was to share any/ all of your debt with your partner. This is something, if not shared, can cause major stress on a relationship.

Now, I have only been married a few weeks, but its no joke-- marriage IS a business!

-You invest time (and money

-you may not get the return you want right away, but if you work hard, it will be a success;

-its a partnership with equal responsibilities (hopefully anyway)

-If your "business" takes a turn for the worse its up to you to make it better

-you acquire inventory

-you must create long-term strategic plans

However, lets all hope that your marriage business does not acquire other businesses or go bankrupt!

Gwen Oloto said...

Hey Kim,

I must agree with Sierra. Girl, that's a high price if you truely would have it your way. But if that's where your heart is than go for the gold! Cha Ching. I hope you find love that will complement your beatiful spirit.