8/18/08

Buying a New set of Wheels!

Hey everyone,
So I have been planning on buying a new set (at least for me) of wheels for a couple years now. My ol' Toyota Corolla just keeps on chuggin' along- so I have been pushing out the threat of a car payment for a lot longer than I anticipated!

There are a few things that I know I want, and then a few things that I am not so sure about, so maybe you all can help me!

I know I want:

  • A used car between 2005 and 2008 (I will consider lower if its a jag :))
  • Good gas mileage (but of course)
  • sun roof (I appreciate the sunburnt scalp)
  • leather seats (dog hair will not stick!)
  • trunk space
  • automatic transmission (I like manual, but I tend to roll backwards too often)
  • 4 doors (trapping my back seat passengers is not my thing)
  • Colors: Black or dark red
  • Toyota, Honda, Mazda, or Nissan

I am not sure about:

  • V6 Engine-does this mess with your gas mileage abilities?? I don't really know what this means anyway
  • Buying from a dealer or private seller
  • If I want to spend $10000 o r$15000
  • If I am currently getting ripped off on my car insurance
  • If I want black lights under my car (OK, just kidding)

What do you all think?

Has anyone bought a car recently? How did you decide what to choose? Did you take out a loan? What kind of marketing as it relates to cars and loans draws you in?

3 comments:

Steven said...

Hey dain, This is the one thing I know the most about. Cars. Okay for starts a V6 is just a type of engine size. Most cars are 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders, V6 and the big dog V8. And that list goes in order from smallest to biggest. The higher you go up on the food chain the less gas mileage your going to get. Yet with the increase in MPG, the less power you will get. Also bigger engines are build differently, mainly to last longer. V8s have timing chains instead of timing belts = less maintaince in the future. I personnaly have a V8, gas is really really bad but my engine will last alot long and with the extra horsepoqer I seem to get more speeding tickets then most people. Next I always recommend buying from a private selling, the cars are used so they have alittle wear and tear but alot cheaper he most dealers. Also most dealers know exactly what they are doing and how toget the most money from you. Private sellers you may know more about the car then they ever have, which means lower in price.
And lastly I have neon lights under my car and I love them, but they are legal in the state of maryland soooo look cool but you need to hide it when Mr. policeman comes around.

Gwen Oloto said...

Hey Dani,

So you need a new car but you have not decided on what your going to get. Well these days it's important on getting a car that has good gas mileage and not alot of miles. You should be fine when you do buy because if you go to a dealership they will have a large selection to choose from. I say which ever car you choose let that be the car that has everything or the most things that you wanted in a car.Good luck!

Sierra said...

Well Dani, I just purchased a used Saturn SC2 3Dr Coupe in February of this year. Before that I had a Mercedes Benz. Life with the Saturn compared to the Mercedes is way less flossy but it is easy on my pockets. I regret purchasing the Mercedes due to gas prices and the price of foreign parts. I purchased it from a private owner. A college student living in their parents house should not have been driving a Mercedes Benz!I believe that you should purchase your new car from the dealer and get something that is good on gas. Shop around first...and don't do too many test drives until you have been to a good amount of dealers, that is how car salesman suck you in.