6/28/08

Credit 101: Journey to Financial Literacy Day 2

Hey GaBbers & friends,
My summer break has ended and finally, Credit 101 is back in session. Yesterday, while preparing my data and research for this course; credit 101, my mind seemed to revisit the many expenses I have accumulated over my past four years of credit history. From the Gap and Express department store cards of my 18yrs birthday; $200 credit limits I thought I would"never have to repay." To the library books I checked out, never returned, never read, but cost me about $500 and a falling credit score...At 20yrs old, I lucidly remember the Capital One card that I never applied for that made its way into my mailbox without permission. Then, of course, I had a season finale episode entitled "shoulda, woulda, coulda's: what I wish I'd known about credit before exploited by ignorance. Abruptly interrupting the pity party, my friend called and asked if I had registered for summer session two at my fair Morgan State.

Suddenly, I realized just how pricey my undergraduate education has become. And, after all the money I have invested into my matriculation at Morgan, one would assume that I would have experienced at least one course in financial literacy before graduation. Is financial literacy only for business majors? Graduation requirements at institutions of higher learning would suggest so, but I beg to differ. In a capitalistic society, an individuals credit is one of their single most important strains of financial DNA and credit reports are likened to the physical structures that DNA forms. For example, lenders and employers never meet the people that apply for loans and even employment in some cases, and yet they can picture the person they've denied based on the vivid Credit report description.(I don't believe that you can see the charcter or moral of a person through a score of any type but it happens everyday) However, there are no orientation, or real life exit exams etc to teach what should be common knowledge to an educated person. After all the general education a bachelors of science degree supposedly provides, not once have I ever had a class on reading credit report templates. So... blindly I sit, wanting my tuition money back, as I look down at my Equifax credit report summary from www.annualcreditreport.com. This central site allows you to request a free credit file disclosure; credit report, once every 12 months from each of the nationwide consumer credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian and Trans union. Now I could repeat all the preliminary information that my Tag-team partner Gwen has already mentioned, but instead I'll just provide the link for my personal credit so we can all share the same looking glass. Meanwhile, lets look at a few vocabulary words for homework, we will discuss each sub-topic with a twist!!!


FICO: Fair Isaac Corporation ( Who knows what the O stands for)
Credit Summary
Accounts
Inquiries
Negative Information
Personal Information
Dispute File Information
Summary of Your Rights Under the FCRA
Remedying the Effects of Identity Theft
Your Rights Under State Law
Credit Score

P.S. If you decide to access your own credit report Do Not Use www.Freecreditreport.com!!! It is a scam for surveys etc.. Also, the www.annualcreditreport.com will only allow you to review your equifax report without credit card information. If you decide to review Trans Union or Experian reports be ready.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you still use free service like blogspot.com or wordpress.com but
they have less control and less features.
shift to next generation blog service which provide free websites for
your blog at free of cost.
get fully controllable (yourname.com)and more features like
forums,wiki,CMS and email services for your blog and many more free
services.
hundreds reported 300% increase in the blog traffic and revenue
join next generation blogging services at www.hyperwebenable.com
regards
www.hyperwebenable.com

Sierra said...

Hi Kim,
I enjoyed reading your report on "Credit 101:Journey to Financial Literacy Day 2." I understands all the concern that you are having. In all my days of school education from Baltimore City I have yet to receive one class on reading credit report templates or establishing a perfect credit scores. The school system can teach you everything else under the sun but the things that are vital to financial success for life. Your credit is very important, most businesses judge you off of one simple report without knowing you at all. When they say don't judge a book by its cover....society judges you by your credit report which is symbolically your cover to your personal book. Everyone should get their cover in order by making payments on time and clearing out those college loans now. Its never to early to save for your future debts.

Danielle said...

Great post Kim!

Answers to some questions posed:

It would seem as if our system of higher education implies that financial education is only for the business majors due to the availabilty (or lack thereof) of personal finance courses. I have been a firm believer that this should not only be a high school graduation requirement, but a college one as well.

As for the "O" in FICO.. it merely stands for the "O" in COrporation to make it more verbally pleasing to use as an acronym.

PS. You may want to check your links to the glossary terms.. I got an error page when I clicked on them.

Fabulous ideas and format! Keep up the good work!

Kim Poole said...

Personal finance courses are a high school graduation requirement? Really... In what school district! Maybe we can ask them to help promote our blog. If they do, perhaps Maryland's school system will use our blog as evidence. Evidence that young people do know what they need and are a part of the solution!!!

P.S. I think I need a little assistant with posting links!!!

Kim Poole said...

Also,
This whole.. Promote our blog to the school system.. i think I may incorporate this into my project "Operation invitation": Be apart of the know with GAB